Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Frugality website written up in Eagle

Article in the Eagle on a frugality website in the area, livingonadime.com. One could spend all one's time linking to all the articles about frugality that are appearing in newspapers these days - we must be in a recession! She feeds her family of 5 on $350 a month, which is nearly half what we spend.

I took a look at the site and it's pretty good: it's got a clear, attractive design, and they have a couple of out-of-the-ordinary features, like a Q&A section ("help! my husband's behind in the mortgage!") and they also have the recipes easily bookmarked. There's also have a debt calculator utility that I had previously seen on dollar stretcher. According to its thumbnail calculations, if I pay down my credit cards at the current rate I have 31 months until I pay off that debt, and I will be then have paid an additional $3000 in interest. Oy!

Of course, circumstances could cause this to move radically, in either direction - I could have to put something substantial on the card, or I could get a high holiday pulpit or some other windfall and be able to pay a chunk of it down, like I did with the tax breaks.

No comments: