Wednesday, October 22, 2008

This week's mealplan

Sunday - the tofu and fake shrimp in garlic, ginger and black bean sauce that is one of our house favorites.

Monday - carrot mushroom loaf (Moosewood): stirfry a minced onion and some mushrooms, grate a bunch of carrots, mix it together with breadcrumbs and cheese and italian spices, and bake at 400 for 45 minutes. We didn't feel the need to make any side dishes, since it's already bread, cheese and veg.

Tuesday - Veggie chili and corn bread

Wednesday - Lentil soup and a crusty bread. Yes, it is officially the time of year to start making soups and stews! But I can't understand why when I make the pumpernickel recipe in my bread machine, it never rises properly. I never have that problem with the wheat bread.

Thursday - Veggie fried rice, from the Hippie Gourmet. It calls for asparagus, but I'm not the kind of guy who buys asparagus in October. I did splurge on the red peppers, though, because I thought it would make the dish look nice.

This weekend we're going to KC for the weekend because we have tickets to see Lion King. (This is our combined anniversary/Hanukkah present from DW's folks, so props to them!) So this meal is on DW's mom, although I think we're bringing a challah. And yes, Sunday is 11 years for DW and me on. Life's bumpy path indeed, but we're still a good, if "quirky" team.

4 comments:

nkjvcjs said...

This sounds really good! You should write a cookbook.

Mary said...

Happy Anniversary!

Mary said...

Some heavier bread doughs take a long time to rise, and for the gluten to develop.You might want to mix it and then turn off your breadmaker and let it rise in a warm place for 4-6. Then you could just start the breadmaker over again and let it give it a couple of kneadings and risings. Or you can take the dough out of the breadmaker and let it in a bowl. I like to put the bowl inside a plastic bag--that gives it plenty of humidity. I do mine on top of the fridge usually--thats a warmish area.

Simcha Daniel Burstyn שמחה דניאל בורשטיין said...

Awesome! I want the recipes, man. And what fake shrimp do you buy? Does it have a hechsher? I bought fake crab once or twice, mostly for homemade sushi, but it falls apart in stirfry.