Sunday, May 4, 2008

Makin' bread (in the literal sense)

My birthday was the other day, and with some of my b-day money I bought something I've wanted for several years now: a bread machine. I found one for $50 at Target that seems to do everything I need it to do (and another one for $100 that does a lot that I didn't need it to do). If it costs me $20 to buy the ingredients I need to get started, that means I would have to make 17 or so loaves to have the thing pay for itself, based on the bread we buy (whole wheat, no HFCS) costing about $3.50 a loaf. And I just think it's a really cool thing to do!

My dad always had a tendency to buy a kitchen toy, use it once and let it rot in the cabinet after that. Example included a fondue pot and a crepe maker. There have been some (rare) times when I've fallen to this tendency myself ($40 plastic sushi maker purchased at the Green Festival in Chicago last year, can't for the life of me make it work properly, the seaweed always tears). But I don't see any reason why that should be the case here.

No comments: